Low back pain affects 60%-80% of the U.S. adult population at some time during their lives. Back symptoms are among the top 10 leading reasons to visit the emergency room. With statistics like these, it only makes sense to do what is necessary to prevent problems from occurring in the first place. Here are ten easy ways to help maintain a healthy back:
1. Always lift with your knees, never with your back. Squat down, knees bent, back straight and angled forward slightly. Lift the object and slowly straighten your knees as you go.
2. Keep your back limber through exercise. When at the gym, don’t overlook the importance of back exercises. Doing back exercises along with your regular routine will keep you’re back strong and will help avoid injuries from back strain in the future.
3. Keep trim. Excess weight puts enormous strain on your back. Any woman who has ever been pregnant can tell you how the extra pounds take a toll on the back muscles, especially during the last few months.
4. Pay attention to the ergonomics of your work station. Be certain that you’re not crouching down to type at your computer. You should be able to maintain good posture at your desk.
5. If your job requires heavy and/or repetitive lifting, consider talking to someone about wearing a lower back support. There are numerous styles available depending on your situation and needs.
6. Keep your cool. Stress can aggravate many conditions, bad backs included.
7. Stretch during the day. Take a few minutes midway through the morning and midway through the afternoon and stretch your body. You’ll be amazed at how refreshing this simple exercise can be.
8. If you spend a good portion of your day behind the wheel, pick a parking space farther away from the building rather than choosing the closest one you can find. The walk will do you and your back a great deal of good.
9. Maintain good daytime posture. Walk with shoulders back and even with hips. Mom was right, don’t slouch in your chair. Sit up straight shoulders back, low back slightly arched. Slouching can put tremendous strain on your back muscles. If you think that the assistance of a back and/or seat support would help you maintain good posture, by all means invest in one.
10. Maintain good nighttime posture. The average person replaces his/her mattress once every ten years. Does this make sense considering that we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed? Pay attention to your sleeping surface. It should support a good sleeping posture.
Even the best, most expensive mattresses can’t always provide proper support and alignment. You need something that matches your body’s natural contours. Consider purchasing a mattress topper to help maintain good support and alignment.
Contour Living provides solutions to many of the posture and support problems which contribute to back pain. Ergonomic head and leg pillows, contoured mattress pads for comfort and support, mattress supports and chair pads will all help you eliminate back pain and enjoy a more comfortable life.